Dylan Poon

"Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you"

By

TALON Talk 2018: Apoptosis and a Cure to Cancer

6 Responses to TALON Talk 2018: Apoptosis and a Cure to Cancer

1. jcho says:

Great job! Your TED talk was the longest one I watched so far, but in no shape or form was it less interesting or engaging than the other ones I watched. You covered a breadth of information and explained advanced concepts in a way that was easy to understand and follow. Explaining apoptosis in four minutes alone is a significant achievement! Curing cancer seems to be a far-off dream, but your talk showed me and gave me a new perspective on the matter, giving me multiple different solutions besides the cancer treatments I already knew. I like how you showed the advantages and disadvantages of each potential solution to curing cancer, giving me two different perspectives on it, and showing the complexities of finding the best solution.

Tone, pace, and volume were consistent and good for the most part, but I think you could have adjusted your voice according to the context a bit more. While not monotonous, a little more variation could have really “spiced” up the TED talk.

Your TED talk has made me wonder, how exactly would the viruses and drugs that target only cancer cells distinguish between cancer cells and cells undergoing apoptosis? Also, is there a term or condition for uncontrolled apoptosis, or the rapid, uncontrolled death of cells?

Overall, your TED talk was a joy to watch, and a minimal text approach with lots of visuals only made it better!

2. dpoon says:

Thank you for the feedback! To answer your question, the T-Lymphocyte cell can recognize cancer cells the same way that any other cell would detect a mutation through the external pathway, but instead of triggering the external pathway, it attacks it, killing the cancer cell. The drugs are still being developed, and that is the problem posing in their way. For your second question, I am not sure as to what you are asking, but there is no term for uncontrolled apoptosis moving towards too much cell death

3. Yoonha says:

Nice TALON Talk! My first comment so far. You had an interesting start that was relevant to all viewers and had me hooked from the beginning. You did a very good job of explaining step-by-step what apoptosis is and how it works. I found the only thing you could improve on next time you were to do something similar is to not read off of the text. Instead, I think it would be more effective if you were to have simple points and elaborate on them with your voice.

A few questions I have are:
    a. What happens to the blebs once consumed by the macrophages? Are the contents considered as waste, or reusable materials?
    b. Are there other natural ‘programmed cell deconstruction’ processes?
    c. Have you heard of any cases were a cell malfunctioned into causing cells around it to apoptosis without reason?

That’s it from me, again, great TALON Talk.
    Cheers,
    Yoonha

• dpoon says:

Thanks for the feedback! To answer your questions, In the macrophage,the blebs are consumed as waste and get digested. Some of the blebs may also find their way into other cells as working parts. I am not sure if there is another way that cells die in a programmed way, but I will look at it. I have not heard of any case of a cell forcing others into apoptosis, since the DNA damage probably disables it from doing that.

4. mbettauer says:

Hi Dylan!

Your TED Talk was filled with very well explained scientific knowledge on apoptosis and cancer cells.
    The use of your slides, visuals, and text made it very easy to follow along. A suggestion for the future is to be a bit more laconic; you obviously did a lot of research, but the time limit of the project was an obstacle. Despite that, though, your video was so well explained that i didn’t mind watching the entire video. Great job!

5. rzawadzki says:

Great TED talk Dylan! Really good topic choice and you had me very interested. I liked how thorough explained Apoptosis and explained how cells become cancerous. Your voice was clear and spoken at a good pace. It was also very interesting when you explained how Chemotherapy works and why it isn’t a great solution to cancer. Additionally, I liked how you effectively explained that if we are able to fully control Apoptosis, we would be able to cure cancer much more easily. My question would be if we were able to fully control Apoptosis, how would we accomplish that? I know it’s a large question but regarding your knowledge on the topic maybe you could come up with somewhat of an answer?